We chatted and laughed about long-ago events pressed on the pages of our memories. My mom, sister and I gathered for a Mother’s Day visit. Despite seasons when I’m certain Mom thought I wasn’t listening to her, what she taught me shaped much of who I am today. For instance,
1. When my toddler sister colored the beige carpet with Mom’s fiery red lipstick, Mom taught me RELIGION… “You better pray that will come out of the carpet.”
2. After she tired of me arguing with her, my mother taught me LOGIC… “Because I said so, that’s why.”
3. She instructed me about my ROOTS… “Shut that door behind you. You weren’t born in a barn!”
4. And when I went along with the crowd, my mother taught me INDEPENDENT THINKING… “If they tell you to jump off a bridge, are you gonna to do that, too?”
5. My mother enlightened me about CLAIRVOYANCE… “If you do something wrong or lie, I’ll know – I always find out.” (and somehow she did!)
6. She coached me about RANK and its EXPECTATIONS… “You’re the oldest, you should know better.”
7. My mother instilled in me the VALUE OF A DOLLAR… “Money doesn’t grow on trees. If it did, I’d plant a forest.”
8. My mother grounded me in the VALUE OF LIFE… “You’ll do that over my dead body.”
9. And, as Lois taught her daughter, Eunice, who taught her son, Timothy, my mother taught me FAITH… On a card she sent her mother in Dallas after we moved to Kansas City, she wrote, “I miss you. In my prayers you’re always there guiding me in the right path and you’ll never know how grateful I am for you always telling me God’s way is the only way.”
10. Last, but most of all, my mother taught me LOVE… Every time she parts with one of her four children by phone or in person, she says, “I love you.”
So, thanks, Mom, for everything. And Happy Mother’s Day! I love you, too.
Now it’s your turn. What did your mom (or grandmother, aunt, teacher, or other significant female in your life) teach you?
“I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.” (2 Timothy 1:5, NIV)
©2012 Gloria Ashby. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail.